"I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough. " ~~~ The Notebook~~~

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Days Go Faster Here

J told me this as we settled in tonight (Monday). I asked what he meant. He said that the days in Guatemala speed by but at home they are slower. I asked why he thought that was. He didn't really have an answer. I have my suspicions. 

It's been a blessing to watch his confidence blossom here. We had a hard first night of sleep Saturday night with anxiety pretty high. Then Sunday morning we visited with an organization that helps Mayan children obtain an education (more on that awesome experience in another post). He was shy and reluctant during the visit. We got back to the hotel in time to watch the World Cup finale which is no small thing in Guatemala. During our ride back to the hotel we saw lots of families walking to wherever they were going to watch or listen to the game.  This sparked J's interest. He saw so many men and boys with Argentina jerseys or Messi's Espana jerseys on that he very much wanted one.  I really think his desire had to do with wanting to belong. 

Rob decided to walk to the Parque Central to grab lunch from Pollo Camperos (Guatemalan fast food MUCH better fried chicken than KFC) and bring it back to the hotel. J and then L and Y volunteered to "help" him (yes, Rob is a saint venturing out with our three youngest heading to the Central Park during the World Cup finale).  They apparently had a bit of opportunity to window shop as J returned knowing exactly where he wanted to get his jersey.  

Once the game was over and Argentina had lost J was ready go make his purchase.  He was a different boy so full of confidence and the tiniest bit of swagger as he led us to the mercado where his jersey awaited.  He made his purchase (didn't give us time to work the price down) and couldn't get the tag off fast enough to put it on. The young man who sold it to us laughed (I'm pretty sure it was because of J's enthusiasm and not the price we paid!). We did a bit more shopping and I actually bartered the price a bit on an item. (For the record I find this difficult not because I am American but because I have SO much compared to the so little the people here have). I guess I'm not looking for a bargain but to help support them. 


So here's J right after his purchase. Proudly sporting Leo Messi's Argentina jersey in front of the arch of Santa Catarina (a bridge used by nuns in the late 1600's)

J wore the jersey again today as we had a driving/walking tour of Antigua (he would have slept in it had I not peeled it from his body last night). Today was a day of transformation right before my eyes. The same boy who had been anxious, nervous, quiet, and shy was suddenly getting pats on the head as we walked down the streets. Most typically the men would pat him on the back and say "Messi!" Or ask him how he was in Spanish.  And J's confidence blossomed with these small kindnesses from so many Guatemalan men. By our late lunch at resterante Don Rodrigo, he ventured into using small phrases in Spanish with the wait staff.  Best of all he was full of smiles and his sense of humor is on full force.  

Walking home tonight in the dark from Cafe Anna, he was talking and giggling. When our hotel hosts let us in the court yard, J happily greeted them with a buenas noches!  

In so many respects it was a long day. But hearing him talk about how fast the days pass and seeing his sense of belonging here grow makes the time we've spent seem short as well.  It's this new found sense of belonging that I believe is making time fly here for him. 

Tonight as he sleeps peacefully in the bed next to me, I am so very thankful that we had the opportunity for this trip. It is doing more for my children than I could have anticipated. Tomorrow on to Panajchel via Ixchme (the first capital of Guatemala after the conquest..and site of Mayan ruins). 



1 comment: