"I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough. " ~~~ The Notebook~~~

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pinch Me Mama


We arrived yesterday afternoon in Guatemala City. The same airport we left 10 years ago. We didn't get much farther than the airport bathroom when L tapped me on the arm. "Pinch me Mama, pinch me!" she said with a huge smile on her face.  So I obliged.  Yes, sweet daughter, this IS real. 

She told me earlier that she's thought about this day for her whole life and she couldn't believe we were finally going to be in Guatemala. Here we were standing outside the airport bathroom and indeed it is real. 
L kickin back, living out her dream. Two of her loves art and Guatemala. 

We met our driver, Guillermo, who took us the hour or so drive to La Antigua where we are staying at Hotel San Jorge. We opted for the small hotel. And I'm very glad we did. Our other option was the Hotel Don Rodrigo. While bigger and very beautiful, the Don Rodrigo caters to tourists. While the pool is beautiful and the restaurant delicious and elegant, we couldn't be happier with the family run San Jorge.

Simple, lush green beauty. They say you never know what's behind a door in Antigua. It's true. The outsides of the typical buildings are not impressive and give no clue to the beauty inside.

They make breakfast each morning..no large buffet or even a choice,just two people cooking a simple delicious breakfast for all of us. There's a little fountain and a small courtyard(see above)where we eat breakfast.  I think right now there is one family besides ours staying here. There are about 14 rooms total.

Our first night yielded next to no sleep for J. His nerves got the best of him I think. So many new sounds and smells and tastes can be a lot to handle all at once. After a long cuddle and a bout of loud firecrackers at midnight he was able to settle down and was sound asleep about two hours before we needed to wake up for the day. :). Even on next to no sleep it's amazing to watch all of the kids interacting with people and learning so much.  

My heart is so full for L especially, it is like a dream watching her eagerness to soak it all in. No pinching necessary. I know we are living out her dream in this moment and I am beyond thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment